The Fillmore Auditorium is a legendary music venue in San Francisco made famous by Bill Graham and is named for its location at the intersection of Fillmore Street and Geary Boulevard.
Opened in 1966, it became the focal point for psychedelic music as well as counterculture, with local acts such as Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Janis Joplin getting their start here. As the popularity of The Fillmore grew, major acts from around the globe came here to play such as Pink Floyd, Traffic, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream and Jimi Hendrix.
In July 1968, after a few years at this location and due to a deteriorating neighborhood, Graham moved from the original Fillmore to the Carousel Ballroom at the corner of Market and South Van Ness Avenue and renamed it Fillmore West to differentiate it from Graham’s Fillmore East auditorium in New York City.
After Bill Graham died in a helicopter crash in 1991, those close to him decided to carry out his final wish and reopen the original Fillmore. The Fillmore has once again become a San Francisco hotspot with shows almost every night.
The Fillmore is also well known for its psychedelic concert posters by designers including Wes Wilson and Rick Griffin. Copies of these posters where given to fans for free as they left some shows. A large collection of these posters dating back to the early days is on display in the upper level of the auditorium today.
The Fillmore Auditorium
1805 Geary Street
San Francisco CA 94115